Using AR books to help with Science & SS



At Oak Grove we are big on Accelerated Reader. AR is a program where students read a book, take a test on the book, and earn points based on how well they did on the test. It's suppose to help students with fluency and also help give them a drive to read. Being as I teach Math, Science, and Social Studies I wanted a way for my students to read AR books while still working on the skills they are learning in my room. My solution: I get AR books based on what we are learning in the class! I have a basket labeled SS/Science Sponges which includes games and books for students to play or read when they finish with an assignment. Last week we were talking about erosion and landforms in Science so I had books on all kinds of landforms and erosion so that the students could read and test on it. Talk about killing two birds with one stone! Not only do they get to earn AR points, but they are reading about the things we are learning in the class! I have to give props to the library staff here at The Grove! They are fantastically helpful when I need books on certain topics. They are always more than willing to help when I let them know what topics I will be needing the next week! Maybe you can use this in your classroom. If you need something for early finishers to do while the other students work this is a great way to continue their learning experience without any wasted time!

5 comments:

  1. Great blog! You have been awarded the Top 10 Award. Click on my blog to see the great things I said about your blog at http://literacymathideas.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-blogs-i-am-following.html

    Click on this link to grab your award button.http://bit.ly/rtHPbL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to find you in BlogLand!
    I am your newest follower.
    Looking forward to reading some more of your posts...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I believe your blog is of the highest quality, I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Blog Award. To view the details of this award, go to my blog at: http://gofigurewithscipi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your post at the TpT Forum and thought I would check it out. Well, you got me. I'm your newest follower. Come visit my blog to register for a free giveaway!
    Patti:)

    aseriesof3rdgradeevents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda,
    You sound like a great teacher. My sister is a teacher in Dallas. I tried to find your email on your blog to send you a note. Would you mind adding our website on your blog.

    http://BookTestOnline.com. We have many teachers that are members. However, it is a great tool for parents to use at home to help their children with reading comprehension. We have a great feature on the website where the students can email the parents or teacher the tests results. We would love to hear from you to get your email at BookTestOnline@gmail.com. thanks,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...